Window maintenance should never be overlooked when a homeowner goes about their chores. It is an important habit to get into that will not only save you money — about $350 on average is lost in heating and cooling costs through leaks and cracks in windows — but enhance the look of your home. Here are some window maintenance tips that will ensure you have sparkling windows all year round!
Those picture windows, bay windows, and bow windows are all there to make a statement in your home, so they should be clean and gleaming! To clean them properly, make sure to:
- Wipe them down regularly — once a week at the very least — to remove dirt and dust.
- Wash vinyl and aluminum framed windows with a mild soap and scrubbing brush to remove debris buildup.
- Make sure you don’t use too much water, as it can promote rot.
- When cleaning, make sure to open the windows and clean the surrounding frames so dirt does not build up and cause window jams.
- Invest in a high-quality glass window. You will want to be able to see out of those picture windows after all!
If you live in a climate that has tough wind, rain, or snowstorms, then it is a good idea to invest in storm windows to cut back on potential storm damage. On average, a homeowner will spend between one and four percent of their home’s value in maintenance and replacement fees per year. This includes storm damage, so it is important to invest in storm windows to ensure you don’t have to pay thousands of dollars in repair costs. The average cost of vinyl window replacement is $11,319, and wood window replacement costs $12,229 on average.
You should regularly take a walk around your house to inspect your windows for any leaks or holes. If there are holes in your rubber sealing, it can easily be fixed with caulk, and if you have weather stripping, you need to make sure it is still in good condition. Lastly, check for any moisture build up in double or triple pane windows, as this will indicate the seal has been broken and needs to be replaced.
There are many more things to learn about window maintenance. If you have any questions, contact an experienced window installation service today!